Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hearn College Items in Texas State Archives

D'Jelma Hearn Zirkle, who was born in 1918 in Atascosa County, attended Texas State University in San Marcos when it was called Southwest Texas State Teachers College and graduated in May 1942. A few of her college items that I donated to the University Archives are currently on display in an exhibit in the Alkek Library. If you'd like to see pictures of these items and others, go to the following site: http://twitpic.com/photos/UnivArchives. My mother lost her hearing at age ten, but was determined to go to college and to be a school teacher. She did both of these and I have always been so proud of her.

2 comments:

Barbara Morris Westbrook said...

Elaine, your mother must have been an amazing women.

Elaine said...

I didn't come to realize how special she was until years after she died. In those days, for her to be a woman, to come from such a remote area (Rossville and then Encinal, Texas, after the age of 8 or so)and to be deaf and to accomplish what she did certainly took determination and fortitude!! I wish I had recognized this while she was alive.